A new business. With bonus material and bloopers and all. And you're right, I changed the title. Bit too presumptious. But if you want to find out more, got to learn Dutch first. Coz I tried in English, i really did, and it's just too much struggle. And hey i am lot smarter and wittier in my own language. So what i'll do; i'll just give it a go and juice it up with some Dutch whenever i am stuck. K?

Thursday, July 23, 2009

i am telling you, whomever you are we are somehow related

the other day i was at the bakeries and noticed a 10 euro paper on the ground.
O that's from mr. Brezet, the 92 yr old from across the street she said.
he always pays me in small coins so i have change but then the empties his whole wallet and this note must have escaped his attention. Would you mind bringing it over to him?
No i didnot and rang his bell.
it took mr Brezet a while to climb down the stairs and when he had done so, he opened the little window in his door.
goodmorning i said. I think you may have just lost 10 euro at the bakery and i am bringing it back to you.
Do you know who i am then? he asked.
no i said, but the woman at the bakery knows where you live and she told me.
he looked at me again and then asked; but do you know me from the school then? The Van Oldenbarneveltschool?
No, i said, although my children attend that school.
Turns out, he has been teaching there forever and his daughter (who can't be that young anymore either) is going to do some administrative work after the vacation.
What is my name he asks.
I tell him my name (not that common a last name, practically every one named like that in the Netherlands is my family)
I once knew a high civil servant working at the city hall department of education called like that he says.
Thats my father!

That evening the bell rings.
It's mr. Brezet with a bunch of roses which must have cost him practically the whole 10 euro, thanking me for bringing the note back.

Yesterday back at work I tell my colleague about the woman that was leading the cremation for my mother and how she was doing a good job and how it was nice to see a young, pragmatic woman there.
Does she have blond/reddish hair and is she goodlooking my colleague asks?
Yes... i say.
that's a friend of her brothers!

To make my statement complete:
her brother has a boyfriend who's last name is the same as mine.
I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home